In the world of homewares and property styling, with each new year comes a hoard of new trends – some are a take on traditional and elegant style whilst others are far more eccentric and have less longevity.
If you’re looking for a fresh start to the new year, sprucing up your home or apartment could be the perfect way to do just that! When styling your home on a budget it is wise to stick with the timeless classics for your staple pieces, and throw in some on-trend fun with cushions, quilt covers or a funky artwork. Whether it’s a fresh coat of paint, some new furnishings or a complete renovation, here are a few of our recommended trends to make your home on-point in 2019!
- Mix up your metals – “brass, gold or nickel accents mix well with either oil-rubbed bronze or aged iron accents. Metals like silver and pewter can mix well with bronze and black brown metals.” The great thing about this trend is you may not even need to buy anything new – simply be bold and brave with how you group your objects. Say goodbye to pure rose gold accents and be adventurous with your metals and textures.
- Matte black is the new black! Expect to see a shift away from the colours of 2018, with interiors returning to their classic roots. The fantastic thing about matte black is that it is timeless and can always be accentuated with the colours and patterns you’re loving in the moment. Black drapes, bathrooms and kitchens will make a statement in 2019, but if you’re not ready to take the painting plunge a matte black statement piece such as a chandelier, shower head or quilt cover can add a heap of drama to any room.
- Patterned splash backs – they’re bold, eclectic and a true statement. If you’re not up for that level of commitment in your kitchen, why not try incorporating patterned homewares. Get creative with vases, tea towels and plants pots!
- Sustainability meets style – in 2019 you’ll see a heap of pieces that are either recycled, or able to be recycled. Think vintage finds, refurbished wood and natural, biodegradable fibres. People will be switching out leather for animal free alternatives, as well as including rugs and cushions made from recycled fabrics. These pieces are a fun combination of quirky and eco-friendly and are an easy trend to incorporate into your home in subtle or dramatic ways. Pop down to your local op-shop or source handmade treasures at a local market – the opportunities are endless and can be completely tailored to your personal taste.
- Light wood floors are having a moment! The great thing about timber floors is that they are a solid investment that won’t date. The light timber trend of 2019 is great for opening up a room and making the space feel lighter and larger.
How do you feel about these trends forecast for 2019? Let us know!
Don’t forget to check out the Property Styling Melbourne online store and snap up some budget friendly homewares. They’re the perfect way to freshen up your home for the new year!